Many pre-school children in North Carolina spend a considerable amount of time outside playing and being active during peak sun hours. We know being active outdoors is great, but we need to make sure these children are sun safe.
One of the most serious effects of not being sun safe is skin cancer. Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the United States. The number of new cases of melanoma, the most fatal type of skin cancer, continues to increase each year, with over 76,000 new cases expected in 2016. Meanwhile, being sunburned at least once during childhood doubles the risk of melanoma. Knowing this, it is important to start protecting children’s skin at an early age and educating preschool children, families, and child care providers the importance of sun protection.
Be Active Kids® has partnered with CATCH Global Foundation to help bring the Sunbeatables Sun Safety Curriculum to all North Carolina preschools.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
The Sunbeatables™ Program is an evidence-based program that aims to educate teachers, parents, and children about sun protection. The preschool curriculum consists of five units. Each unit includes four activities. Activities include a puppet show, sun safety songs, science experiments, and more! Children meet superhero characters, Ray and the Sunbeatables, who have sun safe superpowers to protect against the harmful effects of UV rays. As a result of the curriculum, children will:
- Express why sun protection is important
- Demonstrate how to protect their skin from the sun
ABOUT THE TRAINING:
This is a joint training opportunity for both Be Active Kids trainers and child care providers:
Date: Tuesday, October 25, 2016
Location: Paragon Bank, 3535 Glenwood Ave, Raleigh, NC 27612
- Train-the-Trainer from 9:00am - 5:00pm for anyone working with early childhood providers and teachers including but not limited to: CCR&Rs, CCHCs, Smart Start staff, QE Specialists, Shape NC Hub Specialist, and College Instructors.
- Provider Training* from 9:00am - 12:00pm for anyone interested in using the Sunbeatables sun safety curriculum in their classroom.
* Providers will participate together with BAK trainers from 9-12 and can leave after that or stay for lunch.
- Each trainer will be expected to train 5 centers over the course of the following calendar year and
- Each provider will be expected to enroll a minimum of 10 preschool aged children ages 2-5.
Resources: Participants with receive the Sunbeatables Curriculum and associated training materials.
Note: Lunch, snacks, and training materials will be included in cost. Child Care Providers costs have been covered through a grant - use Partner Code SUN2016.