What is nutrition?
The taking in and use of food and other nourishing materials by the body.
What is a nutritious meal or healthy snack for young children?
- at least 50% of your child's meal should be fruits and vegetables
- drink water or milk (fat-free or 1% low-fat) instead of sugary drinks like juice and soda
- contains kid-size portions (avoid over-feeding your child!))
- half of their grains are from whole grains
How to Improve your child’s Nutrition?
- Eat as a family as often as you can
- Make sure you have healthy snacks available to your kids
- Allow kids to choose from a variety of healthy foods - this makes them feel more in control of their foods versus being told what they "have" to eat
- Have kids help cook - they'll be more likely to taste something that they created!
- Do as you say - make healthy choices and your kids will too!
For more strategies and guidance on supporting healthy eating habits, check out:
- SuperKids Nutrition – nutrition articles, interactive games for kids and a weekly fruits and veggie tracker
- Growing Minds Farm to Preschool - recipes, gardening ideas and more!
- Nourish Interactive - offers family nutrition tips and tools, including printables for kids, recipes, a healthy eating calendar and grocery shopping guides